Simon Doyle from Harry’s Bistro on Anglesey shares this simple dish brimming with European flavours
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL AND ROASTED MEDITERRANEAN VEGETABLES WITH BASIL & ROCKET PESTO
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the pesto:
• 50g pine nuts • 40g basil • 80g rocket leaves • 50g grated parmesan • 150ml olive oil • 2 garlic cloves
For the Mediterranean vegetables:
• 1 aubergine • 2 courgettes • 1 red pepper • 1 yellow pepper • 1 red onion • 2 tbsp olive oil • 1 garlic clove (smashed) • 2 sprigs of oregano or thyme • 1 tsp balsamic
For the schnitzel:
• 4 small chicken breasts • 100g plain fl our • 1 large free-range egg (beaten) • 75g breadcrumbs • 3 tbsp grated parmesan • Oil to fry
1. First, make the pesto. Heat a small frying pan over a low heat. Toast the pine nuts until golden, shaking occasionally. Put into a food processor with the basil, rocket, parmesan, olive oil and garlic cloves. Whizz until smooth, then season to taste.
2. Now for the vegetables. Slice the aubergine and courgettes in rounds (5mm thick). Halve the peppers, de-seed and slice up roughly. Slice the red onion and toss the vegetables together with the olive oil, garlic and oregano and some salt and pepper.
3. Heat the oven to 220°C and place a baking tray in the oven. Place the vegetables onto the hot tray and bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place a layer of cling film on your work surface and pop the chicken fillets on top. Cover with another piece of cling film and, using a rolling pin, bash the chicken until it’s 2-3mm thick.
5. Put the flour on a plate and season, and then place the egg on another plate. Dip the chicken in the flour to coat, then into the egg.
6. Mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a bowl, then toss the chicken in the mixture to coat in the crumbs.
7. Heat the oil in a large frying pan (enough to shallow fry) over a fairly high heat and cook the chicken schnitzels two at a time. Sizzle them for 2-3 mins each side until completely golden, then lift out onto a tray and place in a warm oven while you assemble the dish.
8. On a warm plate, place the schnitzel on a bed of vegetables, and spoon the pesto around the edge. Garnish with watercress if liked.
• Harry’s Bistro, Henllys, Beaumaris, Anglesey LL58 8HU. Tel: 01248 812976. www.harrysbistro.com