by Webmaster, 22nd July 2021
Picnic season is well and truly here, so wow your friends with this delicious hummus dip, served with locally baked crackers
Forget limp, soggy sarnies this summer, serve up a healthy and tasty hummus, or houmous (whichever spelling you prefer), packed with flavour, full of protein and perfect with chopped raw vegetables, sliced pitta pockets or a delicious Cradoc’s cracker from Brecon (see below for details).
Chickpeas are the star ingredient in hummus and have no less than ten micronutrients, including a hefty amount of copper, keeping our hair and skin healthy. This recipe is quick and easy to make and once you've tried, you'll never buy processed from a shop ever again.
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
1 small clove of garlic
1 tablespoon tahini
extra virgin olive oil
1. Drain and tip the chickpeas into a food processor.
2. Peel and add the garlic, then add the tahini, a good squeeze of lemon juice and one tablespoon of oil.
3. Season with a pinch of sea salt, then pop the lid on and blitz.
4. Use a spatula to scrape the houmous down the sides of the bowl, then blitz again until smooth.
5. Have a taste and add more lemon juice or a splash of water to loosen, if needed, then transfer to a serving bowl.
6. Serve with sliced crunchy veg, such as carrots, cucumbers, radishes or peppers, and some warm flatbreads.
Tip: To vary your hummus, you could add half a medium chopped chilli, a teaspoon of curry powder or a chopped pepper at the food processing stage to give it a kick or add different flavours.
Owned by Allie Thomas, Cradoc’s Crackers are baked with wheat, whole wheat and oats, as well as vegetables, fruits, flowers, seeds, herbs and spices.
Based in Brecon, the company have been specialising in crackers for the past 12 years and have perfected their craft, now selling a variety of flavours, including lemongrass, coconut and chilli, Szechuan peppercorn, fennel and red onion, Halen Môn sea-salted crackers, pear and earl grey and beetroot and garlic crackers.
As well as our homemade hummus and other dips, the crackers marry perfectly with artisan cheeses. And when you take time to select a special cheese it’s important to choose a cracker which will compliment the taste and texture.
For more information and to purchase online, visit: cradocssavourybiscuits.co.uk